Tuesday, May 5, 2009

We have a duck & Shane is 8 weeks old today!!!






Though I am loving being home with Shane, I miss teaching and I especially miss this time of the year. Testing is over and the fun stuff begins! If I were in my classroom now I would be doing two things that I love. The first is preparing for Space Week and the second is hatching little chicks! I will be experiencing Space Week through Dan who will be having one, but though I tried to convince him to hatch chicks, he says there is not enough upper level math involved. Then, just as I was missing the chicks, a duck appeared on our front lawn. YAY!!! She decided to lay her eggs and nest by a tree in our front yard! We have a lake in our park that is about a block away, but she chose our lawn. I love it! Thunder, Shane & I are her protectors as the little kids on the block are very interested in the eggs and the duck. Thunder barks when someone walks by and Shane and I tell them to leave her alone. Duck eggs take about 28 days to hatch (versus chicken eggs which take about 21 days) and she has been here about 5 days. I can't wait for the little baby ducklings!
Now on to the real reason you read this blog, Shane. Well, Shane is off of the expensive formula as it did not help the crying. In fact, he had his first major meltdown in Babies R Us on Saturday while still on the Nutramigen. Dan and I went to return some shower duplicates and purchase some things that we needed and Shane was not having it. Dan and I think that he, like his parents, is just sick of the place. We walked in and the screaming started within five minutes. I was able to calm him down by holding him for a bit, but then as we were checking out he became hysterical! Nothing either of us could do would calm him down. Dan finally took him to the car and drove around the parking lot to try and make him relax and even that did not work. Usually he falls asleep as soon as the car starts moving! Finally, Dan took him home and fed him, but that only calmed him down while he was eating. As soon as the food was gone, he started screaming again! Saturday was rough. On Sunday, I tried yet another new formula. Kristine swears by Good Start and I had heard that many people felt like it calmed their babies down so I figured why not. We thought he seemed a bit calmer on Sunday night, but he did not sleep well at all. I put him down at 12 and he was up at 2. He went back down at 3 and was up at 5. I tried to calm him in his crib and he would have none of that! He was not hungry because at 5 he just passed out on me as soon as I picked him up (and no, I can't put him down after that - he starts screaming again). I was hoping Sunday was a fluke, but Shane offered up a repeat performance last night. I am getting very tired. I thought he was supposed to sleep more as he aged, not less!!! To top it off, he seems to spit up more on Good Start. In fact, this morning he spit up all over me and my hair. Normally I would just ignore it, but this spit up smelled so badly that as soon as he fell asleep in his swing I actually showered! This is rare for me these days! Currently, as I type, Shane is screaming bloody murder with my parents downstairs... We will be going back to Enfamil and hoping Shane outgrows this fussy stage soon! He has been reaching for more objects and smiling more (mornings only - he is a morning boy. He is at his happiest before noon.) However, no matter how much my little angel cries, I can't imagine life without him! He is the cutest, sweetest baby in the world and Dan and I are so lucky to have him! Sometimes, I kiss him so much that I am sure he is going to have raw skin!!!!
Tomorrow, his Grandma Carolyn is planning on stopping by. Hopefully she gets to spend time with happy Shane.

No comments:

Post a Comment

2