Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Probiotics rock!!!!!





When I last wrote in this blog, Shane had been diagnosed with colic and we were heading off on a road trip to Champaign, Illinois to watch our nephew Jack graduate from the University of Illinois. I was so nervous about how Shane would behave in the car, in the hotel, and at the graduation. In fact, before we left Jorie told me she felt sorry for anyone in the room next to us. However, Shane was a champ! He slept the entire way to Champaign-Urbana. Then, when we arrived we went out to dinner and Shane was really good in the restaurant. He fussed a bit, but if Dan or I walked him around for a few minutes he calmed right down. Then we got to the hotel, set up the pack and play and visited with John and Geri. Shane was a bit fussy, but aunt Geri had the magic touch and he settled down. He slept great in the pack and play - he went down at 11, was up at 2:45, went back down at 3:30, and stayed in his pack and play until 7. We put him in the sling for the ceremony and he slept through the whole thing! Phewwww! After the graduation there was a luncheon and Shane was terrific there as well! Jack looked great in his cap and gown and we are so proud of him! He graduated with a degree in Special Education and we know he is going to be the best teacher!!!! If anyone in the Chicago area knows of any special ed openings, please let me know!!!!
We drove home on Sunday afternoon and Shane had a great night at home. He slept from 11 to 4:30!!!!! Then, we packed him up and took him to Dan's school so we could build the inflatable space shuttle and space station with his students for Space Week. He was really good at the school and Dan loved showing off his son! On Monday night he also slept from 11-4:30!
Tuesday night was not as good for sleep - we went back to a 2:45 wake up, but he went back down until 6:30 so I still feel pretty good! Tonight we are going to Dan's school to help out at space night. I did not want to bring Shane, but I have no choice. My parents are on vacation, Dan's parents are going to watch our niece Sarah's high school graduation, and no one else will be home when I would need to drop Shane off (I have to be at Dan's school by 3:15.) My sister, Jorie, is going to try and come to the school and watch Shane. She can take him into another room away from the 200 plus students that are expected. That will be a huge help!!!!!
I am really starting to believe that the probiotics work! In fact, I found several recent studies that concluded that they improve colic in babies. I sure think they did in mine!
In other good news, we found out that Dan won the ICTM (Illinois Council of Teachers of Mathematics) Middle Grades Mathematics Teaching Award! I nominated him for the award in the days before Shane was born! Dan's principal, co-worker, and students wrote letters on his behalf! Shane and I are so proud of him!!!!! Jack's graduation also fell on Dan's 6 year transplant anniversary! Shane and I got Dan a new briefcase for school to celebrate! We are so thankful for Dan's good health!!!
I am including a photo of Jack on his graduation day, One of Dan's good friend's from work, Jan, holding Shane, Dan and his friend Alan in the photo booth for Space night (made by a parent!), and the three of us in front of the space shuttle and space staion. It is not a great picture of us, but it is the best one we have of the space shuttle and space station!

No comments:

Post a Comment

2