Friday, July 24, 2009

Cereal and so much more!!!!!!!!

It has been a while since I updated this blog and Shane has been a super busy guy so I suggest getting a cup of coffee and settling in - this is going to be a long post!! I usually like to chronicle the little man's adventures in order, but today I need to start in the middle with cereal! Yes, my baby is eating - sort of. He doesn't like cereal much yet, but we are getting there. His first cereal meal was on Sunday, July 19th. We fed him using Dan's baby spoon, which is not rubber-tipped like the doctors recommend, but was important for us to use for the first meal. Most of the cereal went in his mouth and then came right back out, as evidenced by the before picture here.

and the after picture here! What a face!!!

However, Dan did get a rhythm going and was able to get him to get some real swallows in as evidenced by this video! Make sure to hit play! As our friend Kristine often says, Dan is rocking the daddy thing!

I wish I could say that after this video was shot all of our cereal problems were over and Shane was eating it like a champ now, but I can't. He has good days, one where he ate the whole bowl! Then he has awful days where he screams bloody murder the second you put a spoonful in his mouth. We are using rubber-tipped spoons now in order to protect his gums and he sometimes likes to slurp the cereal off of the spoon and sometimes not. He finds my desire to get him to eat very funny. In fact, the other day I was saying that he was going to go to kindergarten with a bottle (after all Connor liked cereal the first time, so did Shane's friends Augie and Emily) and he started laughing! Then, I started saying "yum, yum, num, num" and he was squealing with delight - note the video below. However, the laughing and squealing do not make him eat any more.

Last Wednesday, July 15th, was our graduation. I was glad we went. The graduation was held at Navy Pier so it was beautiful and it made our Master's degrees feel more official. We loved having Shane there as well as both of our sets of parents and Jorie. Shane behaved himself and seemed to like being out and about.


The best part was that Wednesday nights at Navy Pier are firework nights! We didn't go out for the fireworks on the 4th so we decided to stay and watch them after the graduation. I was not sure how Shane would react, but he LOVED them! Look at the look in his eyes as he is watching them explode! While you are looking at his eyes - avoid looking at me because I hate this picture of me.

On Thursday, July 16th, Shane went for his 4 month pictures. It was safari day at Sears and they came out cute! I did not buy the cd so I do not own the rights to those so I can't put them up on the blog. Then Liam came over to stay for a few nights while Bill and Colleen were in a wedding. On Thursday night we went to a park for a picnic and then out for ice cream. Isn't Liam adorable!

On Friday we met Kristine and Connor at the zoo. Shane was not aware of the animals during his first trip to the zoo, but Liam and Connor loved them.


After the zoo we went home to relax for a bit. In fact, Liam fell asleep at the zoo! After the boys (and I mean all of them - Dan included) took a nap, we took some pictures and headed off to Plainfield fest for the evening. How cute do Liam and Shane look together! Liam was so great with Shane!

Plainfield fest was a lot of fun. Liam decided he wanted to go on some rides, but later realized he didn't like them. Here is a picture of him on the motorcycle ride BEFORE it started moving. Let's just say once it started, he stopped smiling. In fact, as the ride went around he started saying, "I can't ride this, I CAN'T RIDE THIS!!!!!" We had them stop the ride and then Liam asked to go on trucks. Dan went on with him and he still asked to get off, so we stopped riding rides and turned to bouncy rides which he loved.




Liam went home on Saturday, we started the cereal on Sunday, and we spent a lot of this week watching our nephew Joey play baseball. He was pitching on Monday so we went to watch and then learned his next tournament was 15 minutes from our house so we stopped by Tuesday and Thursday as well. We are so proud of Joey and Danny! They are awesome baseball players!

Whew! I think I got it all in! We are leaving for Florida to visit Dan's uncle Jack and his wife Tina on Monday so I am not sure if I will update before we leave!

No comments:

Post a Comment

2