Thursday, May 5, 2011

Spring Break, Passover & Easter Updates

Dan's Spring Break fell the week of Passover & Easter and we had a TON of fun with our families and with our number one little guy, Shane! We took him to his first movie (Tangled - at the budget theater) and he LOVED it! We also spent a day at the aquarium and our little man may be destined to become an oceanographer. I have NEVER seen anyone get so excited about fish before!
Break started with a Passover Sedar at Andrea's. We were in charge of making potatoes and my little sous-chef wanted to help. Things were great until he started to help me whisk the cream, milk, garlic, and spices together (the last step before adding the potatoes and baking). Can you guess what happened? Yep, cream mixture everywhere! All over Shane's Passover outfit, his shoes, my clothes, the stove, the floor. It was a HUGE mess! I was super frustrated because I knew that meant a trip to the store for more cream (not something I regularly have in the house) and out came a bad word! As the cream splattered I yelled out, "Oh S**t!" Shane immediately said it. Thankfully I was able to say, "Shirt - shirt - your shirt must be changed." Shane switched from s**t to shirt and a crisis was avoided! I slapped myself on the wrist and headed out to the store. Round two of potato baking went without a hitch and Shane and I even made some homemade macaroons with a chocolate drizzle. His ever increasing vocabulary is a great reminder that I must watch everything I say!
The sedar was so nice - yummy food and great family. Shane was even learning chess from Brad - it was adorable to watch! He also fell in love with Brad's niece Carly and was super sad when she left to go back to her sorority house. Unfortunately my camera (which I remembered to bring) was showing an error message & needed to be reconnected to our computer before it could be used. Impossible since we were in Skokie and our computer in Plainfield... Eric did take some pictures and when he emails me, I will upload them to this blog post. The chess playing was sooo cute! We were teasing Eric that he is going to have some competition soon! Shane also impressed everyone by saying all of their names (Andi, Brad, Joan, & Cy.) Of course he could already say Jason and Papa. The only name he still could not say was Jorie and she was not pleased. He would not even try. We eventually changed her name to Jo Jo and he can say that fine. He can't say Aunt, but no one seems to mind.
I also have no pictures of Shane's first movie. I remember the story of the girl last year who took out her camera in a theater and was arrested so we decided not to take any pictures. You will have to trust me that Shane was happy and engaged throughout the movie. He pointed out things he saw such as the sky and told us "Sky on" when lanterns or stars lit up the sky. He also loved the "neigh neigh." It was so nice to see a movie again! The best part was that our budget theater has family night every Monday & admission is .75 cents per person! You can't beat that!
Thursday took us to the Shedd Aquarium for the day! It was so fun to watch Shane there! He LOVES fish. I am sure that I will be the proud owner of a goldfish or two before I know it! You can't use your flash in the aquarium, but here are some of the pictures that kind of came out. Shane loved the main tank and we spent a lot of time there!


He also loved the seals and penguins! He was so excited and waving to them!


We did not see the dolphin show because of scheduling, but Shane loved watching the dolphins & Beluga Whales swim underground and above ground. Next time we will catch the show! He also loved the interactive kids exhibits!


We also saw the Jellies exhibit and we all loved it! Such amazing creatures!






Next we went to explore some more wild fish and sharks!

Finally, after 5 hours of fish fun, we stopped at the gift shop for Shane's obligatory stuffed fish - yes, he loves all stuffed animals - and posed for a quick picture in front of the aquarium before heading home.

Shane's absolute adoration of Thunder continues - here are some pics of the best buddies! My favorite is the one of them standing by the front door! I love that picture!



We also dyed Easter eggs with Shane for the first time. I purchased spill proof cups and Shane loved dyeing the eggs. He broke a few, but had a great time in the process. Next year I will make more eggs. He still wound up with 8 or 9 which was plenty since we did not eat them or use them in the hunt. They were purely decorative.





Here are the finished eggs!

While Dan was sprucing up the yard for spring, we got out Shane's bubble mower so he could mow along with Daddy. Unfortunately he is afraid of the real mower and had no interest in mowing with Dan. He did love using his bubble mower - here are some pictures.


Shane LOVED Easter this year. He loves to have company over and we always have Easter so Shane was one happy boy because we had a houseful. We had Dan's parents and my parents and John & Geri along with Jack, Danny & Joey! Colleen, Bill, Liam & Julia were here as well. Dan's Aunt Margaret & cousins Cathy and John also joined us along with my parent's friend's Bob & Lynn. Shane was thrilled to see them all! I had my camera, but was so busy that I basically only took pictures during the Easter egg hunt and when baskets were being opened. I will do better next year!
Shane LOVES his cousins and Joey surprised us by coming home from Eastern to celebrate with us! Shane loves playing with Joe! Here they are in the yard!

After lunch it was time for the Easter egg hunt! Shane & Liam got some help from Grandma Carolyn & Danny! Julia (Isn't she the cutest?!?) supervised!









Once all of the eggs were collected, it was time to play again! The bubble mower was a great gift - Thanks Aunt Geri!!!!


Next, it was time for Easter baskets. Shane was spoiled rotten! He had a basket from us (an Elmo basket!), a basket from both sets of grandparents, a basket from John & Geri, and a basket from Colleen & Bill! Of course we loved spoiling Liam and Julia as well! Look at the pictures of Shane with all of his loot!We are still eating chocolate bunnies!





Shane's favorite playmate is his cousin Liam - They just love one another! these pictures of them cracked me (and Shane) up!



And here is Julia in her pj's and ready to head home!

After everyone left for the day, I realized I never took a picture with Shane all day so Dan snapped one before we all got ready for bed!

Here are some random adorable pictures of Shane! One shows him in an outfit his Aunt Marilyn got him and the others in his favorite new jacket! Thanks Aunt Joan & Uncle Cy!!!!



We headed to visit 'Aunt' Debbie last weekend and Shane loved playing with her cat Butterscotch and her dog Ashley. Here are some pictures from our visit. Aunt Debbie spoiled Shane with a stuffed chick, Elmo bath books, and her homemade fudge - YUM! We were all spoiled with Debbie's company and a delicious meal! Look at Shane with his chick on the car ride home!






This week has been crazy busy for us! On Sunday we were invited to a teacher town hall which was filmed for the Education Nation series NBC is doing. I took a quick picture as it was wrapping up. On Monday, Dan and I built the space shuttle and space station with his class and he has had space week all week! Shane and I, along with Dan's parents, joined in for Space Night on Wednesday! Shane had a blast! I do not have the Space Night pictures uploaded yet, but here are the pictures of the finished Space Shuttle and Space Station from Monday. As you know, the Sun Times did a great story on Dan and Space Week (and included a picture of me) on Wednesday. I hope to get a pdf for the article to include in my next blog entry which will have Space Night pictures as well!




Shane wants to congratulate his cousin Eric on winning the National High School Chess Championship! WOW!!!! We are so proud of him!

No comments:

Post a Comment

2