Tuesday, May 31, 2011

My little boy!

Well, I have some catching up to do - as usual! My little baby Shane is quickly becoming a little boy!!!! However, before I start my update, I want to share some of what makes Shane the world's greatest little boy! For about a month now, Shane has been able to identify all of the letters of the alphabet in any order. We have a set of flash cards and he can identify the letters on any card! He also knows all numbers zero through ten and some larger ones. He knows some colors, mainly blue, red, yellow, and pink & shapes including a diamond, oval, octagon, square, and circle. How is that for being just 2??? While I must admit I am super proud of what Shane knows, I am most proud of who he is becoming. Shane has a heart of gold! When we leave the house, he says goodbye to our house and Thunder and wishes them a good day as we leave and for miles along the road! He walks up to every tree on our way home from the park and says, "Hi tree!" He pats the tree, and then says, "Bye tree - good day tree!" He hugs and kisses Thunder as he enters and leaves the house! He hugs and kisses all of his stuffed animals, talks to them, and loves them with all of his heart! It makes me feel so happy and so proud to be his mom! I know that no matter what, Dan and I are raising a good person who is considerate and caring and who loves and respects his world and all of its inhabitants! He is one remarkable little man!
So you are probably wondering what our boy wonder has been up to lately. Well, Shane found himself in this situation a few weeks ago.

No, he did not hug the wrong tree, spill milk on an unsuspecting toddler, or steal cookies from the store. The picture is from a "Touch a Truck" event that we went to with Cathy and Alex. Shane especially enjoyed the police car, the fire truck, the school bus, and playing in the construction trucks with Alex! It was great until he fell in the dirt and was covered in dirt that stuck to his sunscreen covered body! Here are some pictures from the event!






I just realized I completely skipped Mother's Day! My favorite holiday! Well, Shane and Dan spoiled me! I got flowers, an IOU for a birthstone charm for our new baby that Dan will have added once she is here, and stick family decals for the back of our car (Yes, I have been wanting those FOREVER!) However, my greatest gift is that I am a mommy to Shane and this beautiful little girl who is on the way! I feel so honored to be Shane's mom. I did not think it was possible to love someone as much as I love him, to be as proud of someone as I am him, and to be so amazed by anyone as I am him. I am also so lucky to share this journey with Dan who loves Shane as much as I do - what a lucky kid! We also spent Mother's Day with our parents, who also adore Shane. Dan and I always say how lucky Shane is to have so many people who love him! Trust me, he loves all of you as well! Here are some pictures from the day! The best was when Jorie was chasing Shane around the yard - he loves to be chased! Anyways, she asked both me and Dan why he was yelling tissue as she chased him. We did not know until the next day when I was chasing him and realized what Jorie heard as tissue was "get you!" Dan also discovered that Shane enjoys playing bags. This is great news for me since I hate playing them! Shane mainly likes walking on them and tossing the bean bags right in the hole, but at least he likes them! He has plenty of time to learn the rules!













In other exciting news we got Shane a toddler bed! He has not slept in it yet, but he seems to like it! Dan really wanted a race car bed for him so we found one on Craig's List and bought it! We are waiting for the summer to transfer his mattress in and see how he does for the night so for now, it sits on the floor of his room. We took out the wooden supports for the mattress and Shane loves to play in the car bed with all of his stuffed animal friends. I am pretty nervous to actually use the bed because Shane will be able to get out on his own and I know it will take some training for him to stay in! Now if I put him down for a nap and he does not fall asleep, he at least talks and plays by himself in his crib for an hour or so - I am not sure he will do that in a bed he can climb right out of. We shall soon see! Our goal is to get him in his toddler bed and then in his new bedroom this summer, a good month before he is a big brother! We'll see how that goes! Here is a picture of Shane in his big boy toddler bed!

Being 2 has opened up a whole new world of classes for Shane through the Plainfield Park district. We just finished "Rockin Tots" last week and will be starting "Messy Masterpieces" June 14th! Shane will also take some swim lessons over the summer and a "Parent Tot Sports" class with Dan (I can't wait for that one!) They also just started Grandparent classes and we signed Shane up for one class with my parents and one with Dan's parents! However, my ultimate favorite new class that Shane is enrolled in is "Daddy and Me." The classes meet once a month and Dan and Shane had their first class May 17th (Dan's transplant anniversary for those keeping score - 8 years!!!) Dan said there was nothing he would rather do that day! I dressed both of my boys in matching vests (Dan was afraid the other dads would make fun of them, but they looked so cute!) The best was when they came home and Dan told me how proud he was to have Shane sitting on his lap in class! He is one proud daddy! The boys sang some songs, made some crafts, and played with some toys! I think the classes will be especially important for Shane when his new sister is here. It was great for me to have the house to myself for an hour as well! :-) Here are some pictures of my boys leaving for class and at class! Aren't they the cutest ever?






Shane and I have continued to enjoy our outings at the zoo! We met Anna, Dave, and Augie there last Friday! Shane loved seeing the animals and is now really good at calling them by their correct names! He loved the kangaroo, the wombat, the hippo, and the goats in the children's zoo - in fact he loved the goats so much that Anna's husband Dave suggested we get Shane a goat! We will probably have to take a pass on that suggestion! We went to the dolphin show and Shane was not a huge fan until the end. I think we were sitting too close to the speakers and it was too loud. Of course he got right into it with 5 minutes to go in the show... Here are some pictures from our trip!















On Saturday night our good friends John and Garret and their dog, Spanky, came over for dinner. We Love them and Spanky and so does Shane! Here is a picture!

On Sunday we celebrated my sister's birthday at my parent's house. It was so nice to see my aunt Joan, my parents, Jorie and Jason, and even my mom's great friends Bertha and Ken (and Bertha's mom) stopped by for dessert! Aunt Joan had an amazing fishing puzzle for Shane that he LOVES! Earlier in the day I had a chance to help Jorie and Jason begin their registry - how fun! We can't wait for the wedding! Shane will be the cutest ring bearer ever! OK, here are some pictures from the day!


On Memorial day we headed to Dan's parents for some pool time and grilling! I do not have a maternity suit yet, so no pool for me. I just sat on the edge - that is until Shane got out and threw his wet body all over mine! Of course I had no change of clothing. When we got back to Dan's parents house I was soaked and his mom gave me a zip up house robe so I could put my clothes in the dryer- are you getting the mental image of that? Not pretty! Then Dan started calling me Consuela the maid, and then his dad joined in. I have to admit, it was pretty funny!!!! Anyways, Dan, Shane, and his mom had a blast swimming in the pool! Shane did not want to get out, hence throwing himself into my arms in tears! However, an hour and a half was more than enough for Shane! Dan's mom made homemade potato salad and macaroni salad (YUMMM!!!) and we had a terrific day! Here are some pool pictures!





Well, June will be a big month for us! We leave for our family trip to PA to visit my dear friend Lisa and her husband Jeff and daughter Emily, Sesame Place, and Hershey! We leave June 22nd! Details will follow!
Shane wishes his Aunt Joan a happy birthday this month & he also wants to say congrats to his cousin Tommy who graduated high school and his cousin Alex who graduated college and good luck to his cousin Joey who is off to play summer baseball in New York! We are so proud of everyone!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

2