Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Shane's first blizzard! 2/1/11-2/2/11

Hopefully everyone is reading this blog from the comfort of their nice warm home! I am happy to report that Shane survived his first blizzard! He actually loved it! I also enjoyed having Dan home for the day and getting some use out of Shane's snow pants! The only ones in our house who may not have loved the snow storm were Dan and Thunder (though I think Dan secretly loves the snow - keep reading to find out why!) Poor Dan left work on Tuesday at 2:45PM and got home about 5:30PM. I know that is long, but at least he was not like those poor people stuck on Lake Shore Drive for 10 hours! (Update: We just found out our nephew Jack was on LSD drive yesterday and did not get home until 5:30 this morning! We love you Jack & are so glad you are safe!) I can't believe that as of 10 minutes ago (3PM on Wednesday), there are still 400 hundred abandoned cars stuck on LSD! YIKES! Shane, Thunder, & I were sure happy to see Dan when he got home! After dinner, Dan got bundled up and did the snow for the first time. Here is a picture he took!

And here is one I took!

Shane, Thunder, & I stayed inside to keep the house warm. Shane loved watching Dan shovel out a path for Thunder.

I don't know about you, but there is nothing I want more in a snow storm than ice cream - NOT! However, that is what Dan wanted when he came inside. Shane has to have what his daddy has so we gave him his first ice cream cone. He has had ice cream before, just never in a cone. He loved eating the ice cream that way, but never ate the cone. I got a spoon and fed him the remaining ice cream that way. Anyway, here are pictures of Shane eating his first ice cream cone.




After Shane went to bed, Dan and I watched the snow swirl around outside and hoped we would keep our power on. We did! Dan went back out to tackle the snow around 9:30 and I bet the pictures would have been crazy, but none were taken. I was asleep! By the morning, our backyard looked like this!


Needless to say, Thunder could not go out until Dan shoveled him a path. That is why poor Thunder is not loving the snow! When he finally got out in the yard he wandered off his path and found himself belly deep in the snow. He looked at me and I was sure I was going to have to go rescue him, but he maneuvered his way out! Phew! No pictures of that, I was too busy watching!
Here is Dan ready to tackle the snow again this morning! He needs some snow pants like Shane - the fleece pj's can't be warm enough!

OK, now here is why I think Dan secretly loves the snow. Shane and I were wondering where he was so we opened the door and found him and a neighbor attempting to use their snow plows to plow the street! The street had snow drifts 3 feet high and they thought they were going to plow it! I told them they were crazy and that it was a fruitless effort, but Dan insisted we needed a path out in case of an emergency. Sure, that would work.. major roads like route 59 were closed, but they were going to plow out our street! It was cute and they worked hard to make a path. Here are the pictures I took from inside the house!



After the work was done, it was time to play! We were so excited to get Shane out in the snow! We wanted to finally get some use out of his snow pants! He hated the idea of putting them on and cried as we got him bundled up! What really bugged him was having to wear his boots. He loves his shoes and kept begging for them & saying, "Sewz, sewz!!!!" Here are the pictures of him ready to go! Please disregard the toys that are EVERYWHERE, but that is how our house looks until Shane goes down for a nap!


Here Shane and I are outside & ready to explore. Our house front door is elevated so we did not have much snow in front of it.


Here we are on the sidewalk!



Shane loved running between the walls of snow!




He did not love being pulled on the sled!

Nor did he like it when we put him in the snow (we put him in a shallow section, but he still hated it!)

He could have stayed outside, running between the snow banks, all day if we let him! Oh, and he also loved eating the snow!

Happy snow day to all! Dan gets another day off tomorrow as CPS has decided to close again! YAY! This is a miracle, I guess it takes 20 plus inches of snow for CPS to close, but we are super excited! They have not closed since 1999 and now we get 2 days in a row!

No comments:

Post a Comment

2