Thursday, May 20, 2010

Spring Fest!

Last weekend was very busy for Shane. On Saturday, we headed to Bolingbrook to meet our great friends John & Garret for dinner. We met at 6:30, but had a 20 minute wait for a table. I was a little worried about how Shane would do eating so late (he goes to bed by 7:30 every night), but Shane pleasantly surprised me again. He was full of laughs and giggles and was happy until the end! We did not leave the restaurant until 9:30! I know for a fact that we have the world's greatest kid! Here is a picture of Shane with Uncle John & Uncle Garret.

We took that picture right before we left, so you can see what a champ Shane was. It did not hurt that Garret is AWESOME with him!
Sunday was full of more firsts for Shane as we attended Plainfield's Spring Fest (Shane has been to other fests, but never participated like he did this time!) My hope was that we could take Shane on a few rides. We quickly learned that adults were not allowed in the bouncy rides, but that they had one for little kids. As you can see by the pictures, Shane had a blast. We let him go in several times and he loved being in there and hanging out with the kids! Kristine and Connor met us at the fest and I think having Connor in the bouncy with him really helped Shane gain some confidence!





Shane hung by the entrance of the bouncy while Connor, an expert in these things, leaped right in. We asked Connor to help Shane get up and he pretty much tackled him! It was hysterical!


Shane eventually became eager to explore and follow the big kids around! Here are the last of the bouncy photos!





After bouncing around for a bit, it was time for lunch. Shane enjoyed some pizza and was ready for the mechanical rides! Connor and Kristine started out on this safari ride!

Meanwhile, Dan & I eagerly purchased tickets and raced over to the cars. It looked a little tight in there, but I was sure Dan could somehow squeeze himself into the car with Shane. You be the judge. Did he fit?

The ride attendant kicked Dan off once I took this picture. My heart started pounding and palpitating as I realized Dan was leaving our 14 month old baby ALONE on the ride. I was so freaked out that I didn't really take any pictures of the first ride (yes, I said first). I was so sure Shane was going to 1) Freak out when I was not in his sights, 2) Squirm his way out of the seat belt and onto the cement ground, & 3) Be so traumatized that he would hate fests like he hates the zoo. Guess what, Shane had a BLAST! The only thing that traumatized him was when I tried to remove him from the ride. He was so upset that he rode again. He loved the canopy that spun above the ride (I think it reminded him of the parachute in our library class) and loved steering the car. It was so cute. Here are some pictures and of course, video! The first video is before the ride and the second is during. The camera was full and cut off into the second video, but you will get the point. I could not believe how brave my little man was!!! He is the car coming up when the video ends - look how little he looks in that car!







After a few rides on the cars, it was time to hit the Merry-Go-Round! I went on with Shane and Kristine went on with Connor! The boys loved it! Kristine and I held on for dear life - it is harder than you may think to hold onto a child who is going up and down as you spin in a circle - or maybe I am just getting old.





After a big day at the fest, it was time for a bath. The harry leg you see in the tub belongs to Dan who graciously agreed to put on his suit and jump in the tub with Shane for Shane's first bath in the big tub sans the inflatable duck that I love so much! Shane loves to splash so I took some video of the boys making a water mess! Overall, I am still using the duck and while Shane had a good time in the big tub, he has just as good a time in the inflatable duck tub that sits in the big tub.


In other news, Shane is learning more every day. He is making kiss sounds now when asked - sooo cute! He also always kisses the bear at the end of one of his stories and is even starting to kiss his parents. He understands some more phrases such as "It is time to go upstairs." Which tells him he can crawl up the stairs, something I am not allowing him to do whenever he pleases. He also stared telling us he is hungry or thirsty by saying, "Mmmmm." The first time he did it, we were reading books on the couch and he looked over where his bottle warmer is and he started to say, "Mmmmm, Mmmmm, Mmmmm." It was not bed time or first thing in the morning when he gets a bottle so I ignored it. He started to cry and kept saying, "Mmmmm." Finally, I took him downstairs and gave him a glass of milk which he finished right up. I told Dan about Shane's new skill at dinner that night. Neither of us were really sure what to make of it. After Shane was done eating, we cleaned him up and put him on the floor to play while we cleaned up. Then, Dan and I got some ice cream snacks out. Shane saw them, walked over to the table and started saying, "MMMMMMMMM, MMMMMMMM!!!" really loudly. We got the point and he got my ice cream bar. If there was any doubt that he knew what he was doing when he started saying, "Mmmm" it ended right there.
Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

2